“Many new homes now feature elements that will allow their owners to age in place. This is becoming more prevalent than ever.”
The design of homes is changing.
As housing becomes progressively more expensive and a greater percentage of our population ages more quickly than ever before, our collective view of what we want to see in our homes has changed right along with it.
Having 30-40% of home values zapped in a 3 year period is still fresh in the minds of many buyers and thus a longer term view of housing seems to be emerging. Buying housing that fits both today and well into the future is not just a trend, but a reality.
Most upscale homes now offer first floor masters, as do even more affordable plans. With knee and hip replacements far more common, being able to live on one level earlier in life seems to be a strong preference for today’s buyer. And even if a full-blown downstairs master suite is not possible, the ability to create temporary but comfortable first floor bedroom for a parent (or during surgical recovery) is becoming far more commonly seen in our marketplace.
Note the attached plan has an enclosed porch with a bath and study adjacent that could easily be captured to create a downstairs master suite when stairs become an issue. The space is usable as downstairs public living space until the need arises for conversion.
Consider investing in features that may appeal to you at different points in your life.
Other Articles on New Home Values
- Examining the Dollar Per Foot Metric
- Beware the 'Unique and Expensive'
- What Does the Lot Offer?
- The Popular Plans
- What Does it Cost to Build a Home?
- Hardwood Floors
- HOA/POA or Civic Association? Does it Matter?
- Builder Warranties - Mandatory or Elective?
- Track Versus Custom Builders
- Which Comes First? The Purchase or the Sale?
- What Does 'Stick Built' Mean and Why Does it Matter?
- EarthCraft Homes and Appraisals...Friends or Foes?
- Lot Pricing in the Metro
- Grey Oaks and Nuckols Road
- Look at Models
- Bad Lots
- Investments versus Expenses